Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Brimfield Finds

I planned a trip to see my BFF, Lauren, who lives in Boston, and it just so happened to be around the time of the huge Brimfield Antiques Show! So of course we planned our visit around that weekend of events.  She had already been prior in the springtime, so she knew the ropes. If you don't know what Brimfield is click here to be filled in and jealous! Don't worry, its 3 times a year, so you can catch it the next go round though.



(pictures from Brimfield.com)
 
Unfortunately, Lauren and I were overcome with awesomeness at every turn that neither one of us took too many pictures.  It truly is overwhelming. Do you see that first picture of the aerial shot?? Over 5000 vendors from all over the country come and set up during the week long event.  It is held in May, July, and September.  Designers come to Brimfield to find items for their stores like Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren.  You will totally see why.  Gorgeous pieces everywhere! Also set producers from movies have been known to frequent Brimfield looking for one of a kinds as well.  Most everyone you meet is very friendly and welcoming and we talked to quite a few vendors who offered up some tips. 
 
1) If you go in May, DRESS IN LAYERS! The temperatures in Boston may not be what it is where you are traveling from (i.e. Me from VA!!) 
 
2) Some fields charge $5 to gain access. This is up to you if you want to pay this extra fee. The fee is usually not all day, or every day, just depends.  And there probably isn't any better treasure on the field that charges anyways... But what is $5 extra dollars if it leads you to a goldmine?
 
3) Always ask for a better deal! I already knew this one, but it's always good to reinforce. It can't hurt to ask right?! The worst they could say is no
 
4) Bring cash!!
 
5) Parking will cost you anywhere from $3 to $10. We rode into the middle of the show and parked smack in the middle. Write down or make a good mental note of where you parked. Find good reference points b/c you will get turned around often.
 
6) Food vendors are in the middle of show area. Lots of options, including some homemade donuts. yum!
 
7) Lastly, if you see something you like, pick it up! or someone else might! If you want to "think about it and come back"...good luck! The place is so massive, you may not ever find that booth again.
 
Okay, on to a few pictures...
Lauren has a nautical theme going on in her room, so we stopped off at this nautical vendor.  He had everything you could imagine from these rings, to decoys, to buoys, nets, etc.  AHOY!
 
There is also a great deal of shall we say "interesting" things for sale... take these zinc alphabet letters complete with a antique doll head!  What room doesn't need one of these? ha
 
I'll finish up with some of the treasures that I scored!
 
 Hats off to Lauren for finding this beautiful brass and glass trinket holder. The top is hinged and opens up. I have this beside my bedside for now.
 
 
 
 
I found the gold faux bamboo display holder at one booth where the vendor wanted $10... I eventually talked him down to $5.
Then later I came across this old brass picture frame... hold the phone! do you see that greek key detailing in the corners?! I had to have it! I paid a little more than I wanted to at $20, but a vintage brass frame with greek key detailing? I couldn't say no.
 
I also found a huge 3 foot faux bamboo metal tray. 
 Here it is on the floor next to Tessa for scale.
I really loved it's size and color and the fact that it was faux bamboo.  Getting this on the plane back home with me proved a tricky feat. Lauren ended up mailing it to me later on which also proved to be a hard task due to its size.  So that is another thing to consider if you are traveling. Can you fit it in your luggage, or are you willing to pay the shipping costs?

 
And finally the "Pièce de résistance" I brought home with me...
 

 
A antique brass globe that... drum roll please... is a vintage cigarette holder! So awesome! I loved the fact that it was a globe and brass but to discover it's real use makes it that much more of a conversational piece on the coffee table.  Only $25!  The vendor was so nice at this booth and really took pride in the pieces that he had collected and it showed.
 
We both had a blast at Brimfield and I would definitely go back. We were exhausted after walking over 6 hours straight that day but it was worth it! Now I get to enjoy my treasures!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I'd love to hear your thoughts!