Saturday, September 28, 2013

Thursday Thrifting

Starting a new series entitled "Thrifting Thursday" where I will post pics of some of my recent thrifting treasures. Treasure hunting is one of my favorite things of all time! My mom and I were avid yard salers back in the day. We planned out our route the night before and hit the road by 7am Saturday mornings. You gotta start early and go to where you think the best sales will be first. 
 
Church yard sales, neighborhood yard sales, and estate sales are where you will be exposed to a lot all in one spot.  Yard sales are definitely where you will get the most bang for your buck. Most people are practically giving stuff away! But they are also hit or miss. 
 
Estate sales can be a gold mine too. They are most often run by a company who takes around 30% of the profit of all sales.  These sales will take credit cards and checks most of the time too.  Usually running Friday thru Sunday and Sunday being 50% off!
 
Another good thrifting spot is your local Goodwill or other local thrift store.
 
Here are some recent weekly finds...
 
I found this woven basket at an estate sale for 15 bucks. I didn't even see it the first time I went thru the house, but locked eyes with it on my second time scanning.  That's another tip... Go thru an estate sale quickly, scanning each room for treasures and scooping them up, before someone else takes them home.  Then go back thru each room slower a second and even third time. You will always see things you didn't see before.
I loved the authentic look of the basket and the handle detailing. I plan on keeping it by the fireplace filled with some cozy blankets.

I found this blue pottery at the same estate sale. I loved the color and handles and size but didn't want to take home something that I could purchase at Homegoods or Target so I flipped that bad boy over and found this....

Handmade in Hungary! So now I know it's a little more special. $18
 
I also hit up my local Goodwill on the hunt for accessories for my bar cart as well as some good hardback books.
Ta da! Equestrian pieces are "in" right now and I loved the dark green glass color with brass detailing. My mom did some research and thinks this is an old AVON bottle. I can totally picture this guy on my barcart, maybe even with a flower in it!
 
And I'll wrap up this post with the rest of my Goodwill treasures. I found that awesome black and white tray for 65 cents! The glass horse head was $1. The three books were $3 each. I try to find books that have a great color, are sleek, simple, and of varying sizes. Two of these had the cover sleeves on them, so when you're looking for books make sure to check underneath those covers!
Happy Hunting!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I'd love to hear your thoughts!